Monday, April 21, 2008

On the Occassion of Turning 50

Recently, I was asked if I was depressed at the prospect of turning 50. My answer was that I was not in the least bit depressed.

I have a wonderful relationship with Christ. I have lived a charmed and full life, one that most poor, shy, farm boys, with little self confidence, have not had.

I have been selected for numerous legal honors, President of the Mississippi Bar's Younger Lawyers Division, President of the Miss. Bankruptcy Conference, Fellow of the Young Lawyers, Board of Bar Commissioners, Bar's Executive Committee, Chair of the Mississippi Bar's General Practice/Litigation Section, and Editor of the Mississippi Lawyer, as well as an award winning Handbook on Solo Practice.



In the Church, I've been Moderator and Vice Moderator of our Session for more years than I can remember, been Moderator of Grace Presbytery for 3 one year terms, and been Moderator of the PCA's General Assembly (the youngest by the way). I chaired the PCA's Creation Study Committee, served the PCA's Standing Judicial Commission, as Assistant Secretary, Secretary, and Vice-Chairman, and served as the Prosecutor in the Louisiana Presbytery case. I have been one of the PCA's Stated Clerk's Assistant Parliamentarians at the General Assembly for many years and served on various other committees and commissions.



I was appointed a Bankruptcy Trustee and worked through the most difficult of times after Hurricane Katrina and the new bankruptcy law went into effect in October, 2005.

After a heart attack in early 2006, I had enough sense to get out of this stress filed occupation and retire without doing further damage to my health. I have been blessed financially (through little effort of my own) and am able to retire and take better care of my health. Since resuming a regular workout routine in January, I feel better than I have in years. Given my Father's death from a heart attack at about the same age I am now, I think I am doing remarkably well.


Wade and Sam in Bryce Canyon NP, UT


Rob Jr. on the Oregon Coast


Dee and Josh at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, CO

I was listening to Chuck DeBardeleben's sermon from a couple weeks ago and am pleased that I have had a positive impact on the lives of younger men and have tried to help them in pursuing their spiritual gifts and encouraged them to serve the church as deacons and elders. I think our Session, while still needing growth and maturing, is better than it has ever been and that our Church is poised for tremendous growth, both numerically and spiritually.


Ricky and Sam near Wilbur Hot Springs, CA


Chris soakin' at Rocky Canyon Hot Springs, ID


Ricky at the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, WY


Matthew, Wade and Dee on Mt. Constitution, Orcas Island, WA

I am not pleased that the girls I dated, and thought there was potential for marriage, did not work out. I am thankful that I am not incapacitated by the desire to be married and have a family, and I do regret the Lord does not appear to have this in His plan for me. He has enabled me to live this way, and be at peace about it, much as Paul was and be of use to the Church. I regret that I do not have a better relationship with my Sister and her family.

I am pleased that Momma has moved in with me, has many good friends here. Her spiritual life is better than it has ever been.

I am grateful that I enjoy and can travel and take others with me to enjoy and reflect upon the Lord's creation. I am thankful for good friends. I pray that the Lord has much more in store for me, but I am very content with the full and happy life that I have lived. Turning 50 is a blessing, not depressing.

Heaven Soon


Dee, Wade, and Matthew enjoying a smoke at Doe Bay, Orcas Island, WA

1 comment:

WHBaker said...

Despite what it looks like, no attempt was made on the part of Sam and myself to match our head coverings with our outerwear. We sent this in to LLBean to see if they'd sponsor us but they said our refined, model-like good looks were not in fitting with the catalog's vision - they were looking for the ruggedly handsome type. Oh well, we're still waiting to hear from GQ...